Be A Virtual Angel for Be An Angel Day
August 18, 2020
Did you know there’s a National holiday called “Be An Angel Day?” We didn’t start the holiday but we sure love celebrating it – and encouraging others to join us! National Be An Angel Day encourages good deeds and kindness to others. What better way to do that then by becoming a volunteer with Soldiers’ Angels and serving troops, veterans, and military families? Even better, our Angel Teams have traditionally been virtual to allow anyone anywhere to help out.
Now that we are amidst a pandemic, we’ve had to create additional virtual volunteer opportunities to serve the unique and increased needs of service members and veterans. Here’s a look at all the ways you can be an angel on Be An Angel Day and beyond to service members, veterans, and military families by becoming a Soldiers’ Angels volunteer.
Soldiers’ Angels Virtual Teams
As mentioned earlier, we’ve always had virtual teams where all volunteering can be done from home. Our virtual teams serve different populations in different ways. It all depends on your time and interests! What’s great about these teams is that each one has its own Facebook Group where angels engage with each other to talk about their efforts.
Our Deployed Support teams support service members overseas in a number of ways:
- Deployed Adoptions angels send care packages to service members overseas
- The Letter Writing Team sends letters of support
- Angel Bakers send homemade or store bought goodies
- The Ladies of Liberty Team supports female service members with care packages
- The Chaplain Support Team supports Army Chaplains in their efforts to support service members
- Special Operations Forces Angels support Special Forces and Special Operations service members with care packages
Our Family support teams provide various types of support for military families throughout the year or for specific life events. These teams also have great groups of dedicated Angels who share stories and support each other on our Virtual forums.
- Adopt-A-Family helps military families in need with holiday presents and a holiday meal.
- Our Baby Brigade creates virtual baby showers for military families who are expecting.
- The Cards Plus Team sends cards to veterans, military families, and service members who could use a little extra love.
- For military families who have lost a loved one in the line of duty, our Living Legend Team sends cards of condolences and support.
- The Sewing and Crafting Team provides lovingly created handmade pieces of comfort and support to veterans, deployed service members and their families.
- Women of Valor provides support through care packages, letters, and friendship to female caregivers of wounded service members.
Many of our Holiday Programs are also virtual and can be done seasonally. Here are some of the holiday programs we run:
- Treats for Troops: send Halloween Candy overseas to the deployed
- Holiday Stockings for Heroes: Send stuffed holiday stockings to deployed and to VA Hospital patients
COVID Related Virtual Opportunities
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused us to shift the way we do support. Soldiers’ Angels has done everything from supporting service members on the frontlines to increasing support and changing the way we support veterans. Changing and increasing our support has meant a depletion of our supplies and a much bigger need for volunteers. Here are some of the virtual opportunities we’ve created based on the changing needs of service members and veterans.
- Cards of Support: Send greeting cards to service members serving on the frontlines
- Make masks: help supply VA Hospitals with masks by making them at home
- Virtual Patient Visits: Visit a patient in the VA hospital virtually! They could use a smile. For those interested, please email [email protected] for information.
Learn more about our COVID Support Opportunities here.
Learn more about our COVID response here.
Corporate Virtual Opportunities
Want a way to engage your team since you’re likely working virtually? Do some virtual volunteering with Soldiers’ Angels! We have lots of fun engagement opportunities to choose from.
- Making Paracord Bracelets for Deployed service members
- Making Cards of Support together for service members deployed to support COVID efforts
- Participating in our Treats for Troops program as a collection site.
- Collecting and sending holiday stockings through our Holiday Stockings for Heroes program.
- Helping military families over the holidays through our Adopt-A-Family program.
“For years, thousands of our ‘angel’ volunteers have been providing virtual support to deployed service members, veterans, and their families, around the globe. To be an angel, all it takes is a bit of your time and a charitable spirit,” said Amy Palmer, CEO and President of Soldiers’ Angels.
“Our way of life may be changing, but that doesn’t mean volunteerism needs to slow down. In fact, we’ve seen even more enthusiasm among our supporters who wish to give back to those who need it most. With Soldiers’ Angels’ growing list of in-person and virtual volunteer opportunities, anyone can ‘be an angel’ and give back to our military veteran community — anytime, anywhere,” continued Palmer.
As you can see, there are so many ways to Be An Angel through Soldiers’ Angels for Be An Angel Day!