How to Support Soldiers’ Angels on Giving Tuesday
November 25, 2020
What Is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving that takes place every year on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The day was started in 2012 as a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, that day has turned into a global movement that has inspired hundreds of millions of people to do good deeds.
How to Support Soldiers’ Angels on #GivingTuesday?
If you have followed Soldiers’ Angels during past Giving Tuesday campaigns, you know that we usually like to have fun. But this year is different… For many of the families and individuals we support, the needs they face are extreme and urgent. Not to mention, with COVID numbers constantly in flux, there’s no telling if something may happen between now and Tuesday, December 1st that might prevent us from following through with any plans we make.
Because of that, we’re asking for your help. In addition to choosing one of the methods below to support Soldiers’ Angels, we are asking that everyone share what they are doing with at least 10 friends and inspire them to do the same. We need this additional support now more than ever!
Let’s Come Together for the Military Community on Giving Tuesday. Here’s What You Can Do:
With all of the uncertainty that has come with 2020, we completely understand that this may impact the amount you are able to give to Soldiers’ Angels. However, we also know we can all do a lot more together!
The Soldiers’ Angels Giving Tuesday Challenge focuses on just that. You create a fundraiser for San Antonio and band together with your circle of friends and family to reach a fundraising goal set by you. If you accomplish your fundraising goal by December 31st, 2020, you’ll earn a brand new Soldiers’ Angels Challenge coin!
Facebook is a leader when it comes to hosting #GivingTuesday fundraisers! In fact, Facebook will match $7 million USD in qualifying donations made on Facebook during GivingTuesday. Which means if you host your own fundraiser benefitting Soldiers’ Angels during GivingTuesday, the money you raise could be matched!
Creating your own Facebook Fundraiser is easy:
- Click here to start creating your fundraiser
- Edit the details of your fundraiser, including: how much you want to raise, when your fundraiser should end, the title of your fundraiser, and why you are raising money.
- Hit the “Create” button and voila! Your fundraiser will be up and running.
- Don’t forget to share your fundraiser with your friends via Facebook, email, text, or any other social platform you use!
Because the need is so great this year, Soldiers’ Angels is raising funds for three distinct categories: Deployed, Veterans, Military Families. We have created three separate campaigns on our Go Fund Me page so you can choose where you would like your donation to go.
Facebook is a leader when it comes to hosting #GivingTuesday fundraisers! In fact, Facebook will match $7 million USD in qualifying donations made on Facebook during GivingTuesday. Which means if you donate to Soldiers’ Angels via Facebook during GivingTuesday, the money you donate could be matched!
Because the need is so great this year, Soldiers’ Angels is raising funds for three distinct categories: Deployed, Veterans, Military Families. We have created three separate Facebook campaigns so you can choose where you would like your donation to go.
Don’t have a Facebook account? Not tech savvy? Or maybe you don’t have the time to commit to hosting your own fundraiser? No matter the reason, donating through the Soldiers’ Angels website is always a great way to show your support.
While we can’t promise there will be in-person volunteer opportunities available on #GivingTuesday, we do have a wide variety of virtual volunteer opportunities available anytime. Best of all, virtual volunteers can participate from anywhere around the world! Currently, we have volunteers registered with Soldiers’ Angels from all 50 states and over two dozen countries!
#GivingTuesday is not just about giving money or time, it’s also about paying it forward through acts of generosity and kindness. These extraordinary gestures are often free and may take very little effort on your part— but the effect they can have on someone else can be profound.
We encourage all of you to add one or more act of kindness into your day on Tuesday and hopefully pass on the spirit of generosity. If you perform a random act of kindness for a service member, veteran, or military family, we want to hear about it! Click here to email us photos and/or stories of your acts!
While we by no means have a comprehensive list of ideas, we did put together a few ideas to get your wheels turning on how you can perform a random act of kindness for someone in the military community:
- Know a service member or veteran? Pick up the phone or send them a message thanking them for their service.
- Service members or veterans in your neighborhood? Buy a pack of these “Thank You For Your Service” cards from the Soldiers’ Angels store and leave one on their car or door.
- If you see someone wearing a military uniform or veteran hat at a coffee shop, restaurant, or store, pick up the tab for their purchase.
- Register a veteran you know to receive cards from the Soldiers’ Angels Cards Plus Team.
- Reach out to a service member, veteran, or military family and ask them if there is anything you can do to help them. We’re all struggling to get through this pandemic, but military families likely have additional unseen struggles they may be dealing with. Something as simple as raking the leaves in their front yard could be a huge help.
- Visit a military cemetery near you and pay respect to fallen heroes. Consider volunteering to help lay wreaths later in December with Wreaths Across America.
- Know a service member deployed to a combat zone? Send them information about Soldiers’ Angels and encourage them to register for deployed support.
During strange times like these, we are all looking for ways to stay busy and positive. What better way to do that then to volunteer! Studies have shown that volunteering decreases the risk of depression, gives a sense of purpose, and may even help you to live longer.* So why not spread the word about Soldiers’ Angels to your friends and family? You never know who may benefit from the healing power of volunteerism through Soldiers’ Angels.
Simply share a message like this (or just copy/paste this one) on your social channels or via email/text: “If you’re looking for some really great virtual volunteer opportunities that give back to troops and veterans, you have to check out Soldiers’ Angels. www.SoldiersAngels.org”
*According to Mayo Clinic: Three Health Benefits of Volunteering
We would love for you to stay in touch with us throughout the year and learn about all of the great ways Soldiers’ Angels is supporting the military community! Sign up for the e-newsletter and stay informed with all that is happening at Soldiers’ Angels.
Thank you for your continued support of Soldiers’ Angels and the military community! Without you, we would not be able to carry out our vision: May No Soldier Go Unloved.