Thank you for your interest in participating in the 2018 Holiday Adopt-A-Family Program. Below is a list of commonly asked questions that will help familiarize you with the program. Please ensure you read the "Adopt-A-Family Tips" on the bottom of the document.
If this does not answer your questions, please use the contact form on this page to get in touch with us.
1. When do you start accepting applications from military families for this program?
Registration is NOW OPEN. Registration opens for our military families on Tuesday, September 4th, 2018 at 9:30 am CDT.
2. Who qualifies for the Adopt-A-Family Program?
The following families are eligible based on financial need:
3. How do I apply?
4. What documents are required for registration?
5. Am I guaranteed to be adopted once my application is approved?
Submitting an application does not guarantee participation or adoption in the program. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and prioritized based on the level of need, with new families and those with the greatest need being priority one.
6. How will I know if I am adopted?
Once your application is approved and you are chosen to be adopted by one of our Angels or sponsors, you will receive an email from Soldiers' Angels. Your sponsor will contact you to get additional information. Due to the volume of emails that we will be receiving, we will not be able to respond to repeated emails asking about the status of an application.
7. How will I know if I am not adopted?
Soldiers' Angels strives very hard to get all qualified and approved families adopted for the holidays. In the event we are unable to locate an Angel or sponsor for your family, we will notify you by email on December 5, 2018.
8. If I have received gifts from the Adopt-A-Family Program in the past, can I still register?
Yes, you may register for the Adopt-A-Family program but priority will be given to military and veteran families who have not registered or received gifts in the past.
9. Will the sponsor provide enough toys and food to meet all of my holiday needs?
This program is not meant to provide for your family's entire holiday support, but to serve as a token of appreciation from the community. The gift card is meant to assist with your holiday meal but not provide everything for your meal.
10. When will you start matching families with Angels or sponsors?
As soon as possible after verified completion of your application and required supporting documentation. Due to the level of demand for this program, Soldiers' Angels will not be able to follow up on incomplete applications and paperwork, so please ensure you complete the application in its entirety and upload all necessary supporting documentation, as required. You must upload required documentation. We will not accept faxed copies or emails of the documents.
11. The service member will be home from deployment before the holidays, can we still apply?
Yes, if the service member returns from deployment after December 1st.
12. Why do you ask for proof of all income to be submitted?
Financial information is used to determine eligibility and priority. Families must demonstrate need as determined solely by Soldiers' Angels to participate in the program. Proof of income includes VA disability pay, military retirement pay, food stamps, WIC, SSDI, child support income, spousal income and any other form of income received by the family.
13. We are going out of the area to be with our family for the holidays, can we still apply?
Yes, you may still apply for the Adopt-A-Family program if you will be traveling or away from your home for the holidays. However, you must specify when you will be away from your home so that delivery of packages will not be made during your absence.
14. My nieces/nephews or grandchildren are living with us right now. Are they eligible to participate?
No, only DEERS Enrolled or DEERS Eligible dependents are eligible to participate.
15. My 19-year-old child lives at home while going to college. Do they qualify to participate?
No. This program is designed for minor children age 18 and under only.
16. Do I have to have children to participate in the program?
Yes, only families with dependent children (at the time of application submission) will be able to participate in the program.
17. You ask on the application to "explain in detail why you are in need of holiday assistance through the Adopt-A-Family program," how much information do I need to say?
Please include all information to give us a better understanding of why you need the assistance. Simply stating, "I want to participate" or "to get gifts" is not acceptable. Priority is given to families in greatest need, as determined solely by Soldiers' Angels and your narrative in this section helps us to further assess need.
18. You ask on the application to "Provide a message to the Adopting Sponsor", how much information do I need to say?
Please include specific information about your family, your children, your interests, and why you need the assistance. Our Angels and sponsors are able to read these messages before selecting who they wish to adopt. The more information you provide, the better your story is told for the sponsor.
19. Do you give the sponsor my application with all my information?
Sponsors will have access to your application but will not have access to your submitted supporting documentation.
20. How will I be notified if you have matched me with a sponsor?
We will email you to let you know that you have been adopted. Your sponsor will contact you. It is then you and your sponsor's responsibility to communicate regarding the program.
21. Am I allowed to tell the sponsor that I don't want the gifts wrapped?
Yes, please discuss this with the sponsor if you have a preference.
22. Do I have to invite the sponsor to my home?
No, many sponsors will be out of the local area and even out of state and need to mail the items to you. If you are matched with a sponsor in your local area, we discourage meeting at your home and suggest meeting at a public place.
23. My sponsor is a company and they have requested I come to an event. Do I have to attend?
No. In many cases, the sponsoring company may not be local to you. If they are and you wish to attend a company event, we would encourage it, but it is not required. If you are uncomfortable or have concerns about attending an event, please contact Soldiers' Angels and we will help facilitate those discussions for you with the sponsoring company.
24. My sponsor has asked me for a list of items for my children, do I have to give them a list?
If your application was not very thorough in regards to your children's gift requests, the Sponsor may request a better list. If requested by the Sponsor, please give them a list of items so they may choose what is within their budget and abilities. Please do not put anything on your list that exceeds $50 per child such as computers, iPads, bicycles, or other expensive items or send them links to gift registries. The gift requests should range between $35 and $50 per child. The purpose of the Adopt-A-Family program is to provide your child(ren) with small tokens of appreciation. It is not meant to provide everything on your child’s wish list. Please be mindful of this as the Angels or sponsors are participating in the program to help you this holiday season.
25. My children can really use clothing instead of toys; can I ask the sponsor for those items instead?
Yes, you may include any items on the list that would benefit your children for the holiday. If you ask for clothing, please indicate sizes.
26. My children are really picky; can I ask the sponsors for gift cards only?
No, please do not ask a sponsor for gift cards for gifts for the children. Sponsors are instructed not to send gift cards to the children. If gift cards are requested, your application will be denied.
27. Is the sponsor going to give the adults gifts as well?
No. The sponsor is not obligated to give the service member and/or spouse a gift.
28. I am having difficulties communicating with my sponsor, what do I do?
Please contact Soldiers' Angels at email@example.com and someone will get back with you to discuss and help facilitate the communication or assign you to another Sponsor.
29. We want to send our sponsor a thank you letter but we do not have their address, what do we do?
You can ask your Sponsor for their mailing address so you can send them a thank you letter or note. If the Sponsor does not wish to provide you their contact information, you can always send us the letter and we will forward to the sponsor. Please indicate their name on the letter and address to c/o Soldiers' Angels, 2700 NE Loop 410, Suite 310, San Antonio, TX 78217.
Thank you for your service to our country and the sacrifices your family makes for our freedom.
Our warmest wishes to you and your family for a wonderful holiday season!